The Easiest Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe…Ever
The easiest four-ingredient slow cooker pulled pork recipe you'll ever make, and so darn delicious you might cry tears of joy.
Lately I've been on a mission to encourage others to choose more sustainable and environmentally healthy foods. On Saturday morning as I sat down to relax with my cup of coffee, I turned the TV on only to find the documentary, Food, Inc. was airing.
If you've never seen this documentary, I urge you to watch it. It opened my eyes to so many other topics in the food industry besides the basics of processing, etc, and I am appreciating more and more the benefits and effects clean eating has on this world.
So why am I talking about this in a post about pulled pork? It's simple - I took a really careful look at what I was using to make this recipe and immediately ran to the store to purchase new items.
What do I mean? Just read the ingredients list below. The first picture is from a Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce label. There were two actual ingredients I knew in it! I got queasy just thinking about how it. The second picture is of a BBQ sauce from Trader Joes, and although the last ingredient is "caramel color" which I don't know, I at least know what everything else was. I started with the first bottle but quickly ran back to the store to find the TJ's brand with ingredients I know - it's shocking what our food system is capable of.
Yuck!!! High fructose corn syrup, modified food starch, sodium benzoate, corn syrup...?????
Ok, now for something a little closer to reality...
Ah yes, that's much better (besides the caramel color...really TJ's?!).
It's hard to find the right foods these days, but thankfully with places like Whole Foods, I was able to purchase the pork there where the standards are set high, along with locally grown onions and beer from a local brewery. I used organic whole wheat buns too.
So let's get back to this delicious pulled pork!!!!
After it slow cooked for 8 hours, I removed it and shredded it...
The Broccoli Coleslaw Minus the Mayo has a slightly sweet yet perfectly tangy taste that went so perfectly with the sandwiches. The satisfying crunch was more than I could have dreamed of.
- 2lb pork butt, most of the fat trimmed off
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 1 16oz bottle light ale beer
- 1 C BBQ sauce + more for serving
- Place the onions in the bottom of a slow cooker, place the pork butt on top then pour BBQ sauce and beer over the pork.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- Carefully remove the pork and shred the meat - discard the onions and juice unless you want to put the onions on your sandwich.
- In a heated saute pan, stir the pulled pork with about another ¼ cup of BBQ sauce, letting some of the outsides of some pork pieces begin to caramelize.
- Serve on a bun (I used an organic whole wheat bun) with some Mayo-less Broccoli-Slaw (link to the recipe is in the post)