Heirloom Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta
A delicious and fresh appetizer using whipped feta, toasted pine nuts, fresh basil and sliced tomatoes. Heaven!
I have been having the absolute hardest time trying to come up with the perfect party appetizer that's easy to make, contains only a few ingredients and doesn't require me to cook anything when I get to our friends house later tonight.
Thanks to Ina Garten and her wonderful cookbooks, I found just the thing - Heirloom Tomato Crostini with Whipped Feta.
Soooooo yummy!! These little pieces of heaven were so good, with so many flavors packed onto one crostini, I just can't get enough of them. So Mom- if you're reading this, I recommend these 🙂
Chef's Note: Be sure not to assemble the crostinis too far in advance because the bread will become soggy and no one wants that!
- 6 oz crumbled feta
- 2 oz ¼ less fat cream cheese
- ⅔ C olive oil, divided
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- 2 TBS minced shallots
- 2 lbs heirloom tomatoes. ½ in diced
- 3 TBS julienned fresh basil leaves
- 20-25 diagonal baguette slices, brushed with olive oil and toasted at 425 for 8-10 mins
- 2 TBS pine nuts - toasted over low heat in a pan until slightly browned
- For the whipped feta, combine feta and cream cheese in a food processor until mixted. Add ⅓ cup olive oil, the lemon juice, ½ tsp salt and ¼ tsp pepper and process again until smooth. This can be made a day in advance.
- For the tomatoes, combine with shallots and basil. Set aside.
- To assemble crostini, spread each slice with a generous amount of whipped feta, then top with tomatoes. Sprinkle toasted pine nuts over crostini and serve.