Lightened Up Beef Stroganoff
A healthy version of a seriously good classic.
Usually when we have steak, it's either marinated and grilled or sliced and put into fajitas. So tonight I needed something different. It's cold outside and like most other normal people in the winter, I crave comfort food. I've never cooked nor do I think I have every tried Beef Stroganoff before, but just the idea of egg noodles, a creamy sauce, and lots of flavor won me over.
It's important to me that anything I eat is nutritionally beneficial to my well-being, so as I was researching what goes into this dish, I made sure the ingredients were as close to healthy as possible. Not an easy feat when it comes to Stroganoff! Many of the recipes I investigated contained so much butter and fat, but then along came Cooking Light Magazines version in a quick, under 30 minute recipe. Hallelujah!
The final result: Wow - I think I may keep Ryan around a few more weeks with this meal!
It's a beautiful dish that is full of flavor and devilishly yummy - and all under 400 calories (woohoo!)
- 4 ounces wide egg noodles, cooked to package directions
- 1/2 C water
- 1 lb flank or other lean beef, trimmed and sliced
- olive oil or cooking spray
- 1 C chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp hot paprika
- 1 (6-ounce) package baby bella mushrooms
- 1 C lower-sodium beef broth, divided
- 5 tsp all-purpose flour
- 1/3 C fat-free sour cream
- 3 TBS thinly sliced green onions
- 1 TBS butter
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with olive oil or spray. Add beef to pan and saute for 4 minutes or until browned on both sides.
- Remove beef from pan then add onion, black pepper, salt, paprika, and mushrooms to pan and saute 4 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce heat to medium
- Combine 1/4 cup beef broth and flour in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.
- Add broth mixture, beef, remaining 3/4 cup broth, and 1/2 cup water to pan, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Cover and cook 8 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat; stir in sour cream, green onions, and butter.
- Serve beef mixture over egg noodles and garnish with parsley