Mexican Rice & Beans
A little spicy, a little cheesy...basically heaven in the form of rice & beans.
Bagel bites, a piece of bread and a few egg sandwiches.
We had a horse show this weekend, and with all the planning and organizing leading up to it, I haven't cooked a thing since Monday. So poor Ryan, fending for himself, ate the rest of the leftovers then resorted to Bagel Bites, a piece of bread and a few egg sandwiches - maybe a can of tuna mixed in there too. So I had to smile because clearly he can't live without me (or just my cooking!). Girls - the key to a guys heart is always through his stomach...remember that!
I felt I had to make it up to him in a big way, so I made him his favorite, Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas. Now I know this has been made on here before, but must I remind you of the greatness of this dish. To go along with these wonderful little enchiladas, I made Mexican Rice & Beans. A staple with enchiladas!
I didn't have a box of rice, just a boil-in-a-bag brown rice packet, but not to worry though, I made it work! I've been on a Ro-Tel kick lately, so I added a can of that along with some black beans, shredded cheese and a few other goodies, and man was it good.
- 1 C brown rice
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- olive oil
- 1 can Ro-tel tomatoes with chiles, drained
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- chicken broth, low sodium if possible
- 1/2 tsp cumin, salt & pepper
- 1/4 C shredded cheese
- In a sautee pan, cook onion and garlic with olive oil 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add raw rice and sautee until some of the rice has browned.
- Pour in Ro-Tel and beans, then add chicken broth (enough to cover all ingredients in the pan.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until rice has cooked through.
- Stir everything together, then season with the cumin, salt and pepper.
- Stir in shredded cheese and combine until rice becomes a little creamy.
- Serve with Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas or any other Mexican Meal!
[…] via creativelydelish.com […]Reply