Baked Shrimp & Feta
Tomatoes simmered with white wine, onions, garlic and oregano, then baked with shrimp and feta with a crispy top layer of bread crumbs, parsley and lemon zest. The surprise of lemon zest paired with the feta gives it a fresh flavor and tones down that saltiness from the cheese. Try it over spaghetti squash as a pasta alternative or just plain with a big hunk of french bread for sopping up all of that good tomato sauce.
A few years ago, most weekend nights consisted of running home from work, taking a 5 minute shower, spending over an hour trying to pick out something to wear then trying to huddle in a group together at some jam-packed bar or restaurant all while trying to keep my hair perfectly bouncy....yeah not so much anymore. These days I look forward to cooking a nice meal with music playing in the background, pouring a big glass of white wine, and enjoying a relaxing Friday night.
My how things have changed.
Am I considered a grandma now?! Yikes...
Speaking of tomato sauce, this is very good on it's own, with a different flavor in the red sauce thanks to the white wine.
An easy, quick and flavorful dish that's gauranteed to wow!
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 TBS minced garlic
- 1/2 C white wine (dry not sweet)
- 2 cans (14.5oz each) fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs peeled uncooked shrimp
- 1/2 C crumbled feta cheese
- 1 C panko or fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 TBS fresh minced parsley
- 1 TBS lemon zest
- 2 lemons
- Preheat oven to 400.
- In an ovenproof, heavy skillet, heat olive oil over medium low heat, then add onion and garlic. Sautee until onions turn clear, then add wine.
- Simmer wine until liquid is reduced by half.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Line skillet with shrimp, tails up, on top of the tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle with feta cheese.
- In a small bowl, combine lemon zest, parsley and bread crumbs, then sprinkle over shrimp and feta.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the shrimp is cooked through and the bread crumbs are golden brown.
- Squeeze lemon juice over pan, then serve hot over pasta or with garlic bread.